There was an article in The Guardian a couple of weeks ago about a Sweet Valley sequel where the girls are now in the 30’s. I grew up on the Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High books (though didn’t read any of the other spin-off series) so this has me rather intrigued.
The article says that the book
takes place 12 years after the high school series, when the twins and their friends are in their late 20s and early 30s. It will, according to publisher St Martin’s Press, see “the real world intrude after a perfect childhood”. “I’ve had thousand of queries from fans over the years wondering what Jessica and Elizabeth would be like as adults. Well, Sweet Valley Confidential should give them all the answers,” said Pascal, who was originally inspired to write the series by the experiences of her three daughters. “And I can guarantee they will be very surprised. Actually, more like shocked.”
The book will be published by St Martin’s Press and is scheduled for release in early 2011.
Anyway, this has gotten me thinking about all of the books that I’ve read (or want to read) where twins feature a prominent role, and so this week’s listed is about ten sets of fictional twins.
- Elizabeth & Jessica in Francine Pascal’s Sweet Valley books. Series created in 1983.
- Fred & George in J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series. Originally appear in Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone; originally published 1997.
- Louise & Caroline in Katherine Paterson’s Jacob Have I Loved. Originally Published 1980.
- Emmeline & Adeline in Diane Setterfield’s The Thirteenth Tale. Originally Published 2006.
- Viola & Sebastian. in Shakespeare’s The Twelfth Night. Written 1601-1602.
- Nan & Di in L.M. Montgomery’s Anne of Green Gables series. Originally appear in Anne of Ingelside; originally published 1939.
- Sandy & Dennys in Madeline L’Engle’s Time Quartet. Originally appear in A Wrinkle in Time; originally published 1962.
- Lia & Alice in Michelle Zink’s Prophecy of the Sisters. Originally Published 2009.
- Albert & Frederick in Christopher Priest’s The Prestige. Originally Published 1995.
- Simon and Jared in Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black’s Spiderwick Chronicles. Originally appear in The Field Guide; originally published 2003.
What other fictional twins are out there that you’ve enjoyed reading about?